Match Reports




British Telecom lost to Doctors by 80 runs


Doctors            147 for 0


Telecom             67 all out




  Doctors’ openers Keith Powell and Robert Adcock began cautiously on a poor Taunton Civil Service Club pitch that offered the bowlers lateral movement and extremely variable bounce.  Once established both batsmen began to drive the ball well although the lush outfield meant that they were deprived of boundaries and had to do more running between the wickets than they would have liked.  With their stand worth 56 Adcock (25) and Powell (29) retired unbeaten in quick succession but there was no let up for the beleaguered bowlers as Will Chandler and Graham Fergusson were soon into their stride and the scoring rate rose even faster as each took the aerial route to the ropes.  In no time they too had both retired on 25 not out but even then the suffering had not finished for the fielding side.  S.Denman bowled well at the death but Ralph Hammond (18 n.o.) and Sam Powell (17 n.o.) rubbed salt into the Telecom wounds in an unbroken stand.  No one on Doctors team could remember when they last batted first and did not lose a single wicket in a completed innings.


  If the Telecom players were not depressed before their innings they must have been after Will Chandler’s opening over in which prodigious off spin produced a double wicket maiden.  J.Isles (18) counter attacked bravely but all too soon fell victim lbw to an arrow straight ball from Charles Macadam (1-16).  The highlight of the match came when Keith Powell (1-21), who had scored his 3000th run for Doctors earlier in the match, took his 50th wicket thanks to a truly astonishing diving catch by Adcock at midwicket.  Powell became only the third Doctors player to achieve this particular “double”.  More spirited belligerence from Denman and M.Pinney (18) was ended by Steve Witts (1-10) and Peter Reed (1-5) and the Telecom innings began to resemble a kamikaze mission as three sharp run outs by Powell, Reed and Chandler and the ubiquitous lightening stumping by Fergusson completed a faultless fielding display.