Match Reports




Doctors beat Quantock Stags by 9 wickets

Stags                91 for 6


Doctors            95 for 1


  After the heat wave of April the first game of the season for these two sides was played in cool May conditions on a wet outfield and a lifeless pitch.  Stags won the toss and elected to bat and the opening stages of the match were notable for early season rust on both sides.  The only person immune from this was Tony Fawle (18) who unveiled three sumptuous cover drives to the boundary to give his side the initial advantage.  Alas when he attempted another drive against Mike Smart (1-21) the ball was too good for the shot and found his inside edge.  It was only a half chance but keeper Dave Rooke leapt acrobatically down the leg side to pick up the ball just before it landed.  Steve Dorrett (1-13) bowling at the other end was steadiness personified and then strike bowlers John Down and Sam Powell came on to strangle the middle of the innings.  However Paul Charles and Simon Scarborough defended sensibly and punished the occasional loose ball to build a sound partnership that gave their side a platform for the final slog.  This plan was thwarted by Doctors’ death bowlers Phil Barker and Peter Reed who used the pressure on the batsmen and the slowness of the pitch to induce a plethora of false shots.  Barker (2-9) bowled heroically through the pain of an injured shoulder and made the breakthrough when Scarborough (17) chipped him tamely to mid on.  An off cutter from Reed (2-15) had Charles (21) playing too early and removed his middle stump and the bowler then collected an “estate agent double” when the dangerous Steve Dickens holed out to a good catch by David Gwynne Jones at deep midwicket.


  David Williamson, making his debut for Doctors, opened the innings with veteran opener Keith Powell and they were rapidly into their stride with a mixture of shrewd singles and well judged drives.  Powell in particular was severe on anything over-pitched and the score rattled along at seven an over without any risks being taken or chances offered.  Stags’ captain Dickens (1- 6) rotated his bowlers in vain and the score was on 81 when he brought himself on to claim the first wicket.  Powell had made an excellent 45 but seemed to be looking to finish the game in a hurry when he missed a straight ball, but Williamson (35 not out) played with calm authority to steer his side home with 35 balls to spare.