Match Reports




Doctors beat Sedgemoor Unison by 7 wickets

Unison 115 all out


Doctors            116 for 3



  Unison opted to bat in energy sapping heat and humidity and suffered early setbacks as Tim Mander unluckily played on and Martin Griffin was caught off a top edge from the dangerous John Down (2-23).  Gary Stone and Mark Foster repaired the damage as Stone showed his class with good footwork and deft placement.  Two wickets in two balls from Graham Fergusson (2-21) put Doctors back in the driving seat when Foster was well taken by keeper Dave Rooke who was standing up, and Duncan Harvey pulled his first ball straight into the hands of Sam Powell at deep midwicket.  Powell (1-5) then bowled the spell of the match, his fast, late-swinging deliveries deserving more than his one wicket.  With well flighted off breaks from Jeremy Budd (1-11) at the other end the flow of runs was reduced to a trickle and when Peter Reed (3-27) came on to bowl he was able to profit from the batsmen’s desperate need to accelerate.  At last Stone found a robust partner in Nigel Roderick and their aggressive hitting put on 32 from the last 3 overs.  Roderick (20) was bowled by Will Chandler (1-16) with the last ball of the match and Stone was left unbeaten for an excellent 49.


  Keith Powell and John Ogle began Doctors reply at a canter and their stand was worth 33 when Powell (19), having played an exquisite cover drive from the previous ball, chased a wide one from Harvey (1-17) and was caught at mid off.  Debutant Nigel Preston had settled in well until he unwisely responded to a call from Ogle and was run out.  From the comparative nadir of 46 for 2 the match was won by an exhilarating stand of 45 between Ogle and Chandler.  Watchful at first against the accuracy of Harvey and Chris Rossiter and the booming off breaks of Stone, they gradually expanded their range of strokes and eventually dominated the change bowlers.  Both players demonstrated their repertoire of pulls and drives until both were obliged to retire, Ogle on 33 and Chandler on 31.  Seymour (1-11) then seized a wicket but by then the match was decided and Budd and Sam Powell finished it off with 15 balls in hand.